- THE MAGAZINE
IICRC in Consumer and Trade Media
1. Thirteen (13) Press Releases to 35+ Trade Magazines (flooring, upholstery, cleaning and insurance) and WEB sites. Some of the magazines include: Floor Covering Weekly, Floor Focus, National Floor Trends, Floor Covering Installer, Upholstery Journal, Furniture Today, ICS, Services, Insurance Advocate, The Insurance Journal and Property/Casualty Journal. The total readership of these magazines is 5,010,772 people.
2.Two (2) Radio Interviews to the Carpet Industry in Dalton, GA (Dave Foster's News Floor Radio).
3.Three (3) Matte Releases to 650+ Consumer Newspapers throughout the United States. (A matte release is similar to an advertorial). The 800 Referral # and WEB site address (www.iicrc.org) are always listed. Matte release readership is approximately 55,000,000 people (potential customers) throughout the US.
4. One (1) Radio News Release on "Carpet Care" - this was just released in October, therefore we don't have statistics as yet.
5. Dateline NBC - viewed by approximately 11,000,000 people on Jan. 17 - Chief Consumer Correspondent Lea Thompson interviewed Jeff Bishop, representing IICRC, on low-cost coupons for carpet cleaning and carpet cleaning procedures. Although NBC did not give the 800#, they referenced the IICRC WEB site on their WEB site. We had more than 24,000 visits to the IICRC WEB site in January. The site’s search page for Institute-Certified Firms took more than 60,000 hits. We logged more than 1,500 e-mails. And we provided more than 5,400 referrals to Certified Firms to the 1,900 callers to our toll free consumer line.
6. MSNBC (a bonus to the Dateline program) - the Dateline NBC show was aired twice in February. Each time the program aired the WEB site received visits and the 800 Referral line received calls.
7. Miami Herald Consumer Column - 480,000 readership in South Florida - this "Consumer Alert" article ran on October
8. Several companies/technicians in the Miami area claimed to be IICRC Certified. When we were contacted by the reporter, we investigated and found they were not. We provided this and other information about IICRC. The article listed both the 800# and WEB site address. The morning following the release of the article, headquarters received approximately 60 inquiries from South Florida.
8. Century 21 Advertorial – Target Real Estate Market and Consumers - readership is 550,000 people (November/December issue). (This ad will run again in January/February 2001 and March/April issues 2001).
9. Ads in Retailer Floor Covering Magazine (IFDA) - mailed directly to carpet and flooring retailers. It lists the 800# and WEB site address.
TOTAL Trade and Consumer Media Readership = 71,941,705
IICRC Representation at Trade Shows/Conventions/Meetings/Seminars
1. Three (3) Furniture Manufacturer Meetings (2 American Furniture Manufacturing Association and 1 La-z-boy). We are establishing a strong relationship with the furniture industry as evidenced by their endorsement and participation in the New S300 Upholstery Standard. We are encouraging their use of the 800# and WEB site to locate Certified Firms for referrals.
2. Nine (9) Cleaning Related - The booth is placed at the shows to promote IICRC to non-certified people and to register certified technicians for their CEC's.
3. Five (5) Restoration Related - The booth is placed to promote IICRC to non-certified people and to register certified technicians for their CEC's.
4. Three (3) Inspection Related - The booth is placed to promote IICRC to non-certified people and to register certified technicians for their CEC's. (In each case the booth is staffed by an IICRC volunteer).
5. Two (2) Carpet Related (Surfaces and Dalton Manufacturers Liaison Meeting.
6. One (1) Hard Surface Related (Connections) - Marble, Stone, Tile, Laminate, Wood and Resilient flooring cleaning and inspection.
7. Three (3) Carpet & Rug Institute (CRI) meetings with New President Werner Braun - Discussions about networking with the Carpet and Rug Institute.
8. Three (3) Personal visits with Mill Claims Personnel in Dalton - to encourage them to call the IICRC 800 # and/ or visit IICRC WEB site when they need qualified inspection or cleaning professionals.
I hope this gives you some insight on what IICRC has accomplished for the Certified Firms and consequently, Certified Technicians during just this last year! Thanks to a very supportive Board of Directors, next year promises to be even better!
We have received many responses from Certified Firms throughout the year telling us about the positive effect the marketing effort is having on their referrals. Many Certified Firms have not been tracking their calls, but when we checked our records at headquarters, they indeed had been given several referrals during the year.
Remember, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." It's up to each Certified Firm to promote their credentials in their own hometown. Currently, there are 5,100 IICRC Certified Firms. Be proud to be a part of such an elite group of professionals.
Author Ruth Travis is the IICRC Marketing Director.