Cleaning & Restoration Association News

Loyalty: A Two-Way Street

February 10, 2004
/ Print / Reprints /
ShareMore
/ Text Size+


We all know just how important building a strong repeat and referral clientele is to the growth of our businesses. Many business owners feel this is accomplished entirely through outstanding workmanship and customer service.

This certainly accounts for at least 80 percent of the necessary requirements for achieving this goal, but what about the remaining 20 percent?

This is where loyalty comes into play. Not just the loyalty your customers show you, but the loyalty you and your firm show them. You can't have one without the other.

Client loyalty is achieved not only with great work and service, but it is also cultivated over time through friendship. For instance, we recently had an appointment with a long-time, regular client. This particular homeowner schedules her carpet and furniture cleaning twice annually (spring and fall) like clockwork. Sadly, after arriving for our fall cleaning, we were informed that she lost her husband this past summer. Immediately upon returning to the office, I sent a sympathy card to her home. A small gesture, indeed, but one that was surely unexpected, appreciated, and will be remembered by this client every time she receives a postcard from us.

Another example: One of our customers informed us that her friend (who also happened to be another of our clients) recently gave birth to her first child, a boy. Approximately three months later, the new mother phoned to schedule her annual appointment with us. We arrived with a small baby gift for the newborn. This cost about $5, but the client will remember us every time she sees her child playing with that toy! You see, building your database goes hand in hand with building friendships. A friendship results in a lifetime, loyal client.

There are additional things we do, such as handing out free spotters as holiday gifts in December. A bottle of liqueur or wine is hand-delivered to our valuable commercial-account contacts. These small business expenditures (and tax write-offs) pay big dividends over the long haul. If you aren't already doing this, start and start now! By all means, continue to make those follow-up phone calls after jobs and send out "Thank You" letters in a timely fashion, but also remember the intangibles, the extras, the "personal touch." The value placed on the interaction that all people crave and appreciate is immeasurable.

Build your business not only with quality service, but with the friendship and trust you share with your customers. They will repay you with a lifetime of loyalty.

Did you enjoy this article? Click here to subscribe to i Cleaning Specialist Magazine.

Recent Articles by Armand Taddeo

You must login or register in order to post a comment.

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

The 2014 Experience Conference and Exhibition

A look in photos at the 2014 Experience Conference and Exhibition, which was held from April 24-26 at the Embassy Suites Convention Center and Spa in Frisco, Texas.

1/27/15 2:00 pm EST

Grow Your Business and Improve Operations with New Payment Technology

Attend this free webinar to learn how new developments in payment technology can help you close more jobs, increase upselling opportunities and improve operations.

Podcasts

The winter slow season is a great time to pursue commercial cleaning accounts and stay busy. John "the Hitman" Braun solicited questions from thousands of cleaners across the country regarding their questions on commercial cleaning accounts and answers them in this episode of the show.
More Podcasts

ICS Cleaning Specialist Magazine

CoverImage

2014 Nov/Dec

The Nov/Dec ICS features content on how to get better meter readings, a roundtable on truckmount development, neighborhood marketing and more. Also included is the annual Buyer’s Guide and Directory.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

Janitorial Work

In addition to residential and commercial carpet cleaning, do you do any janitorial work on the side?
View Results Poll Archive

THE ICS STORE

FinalCover.gif
The Carpet Cleaner's Book of Unlimited Success! (ebook)

Don’t worry about the recession or about your competition.  Now you can be the owner of over 400 ways for carpet cleaning professionals to make more money and get more jobs!

More Products

ICS DIRECTORY AND BUYING GUIDE

Director_Buyer.jpgThe premier resource and reference guide for the cleaning and restoration industries.

Click here to view

STAY CONNECTED

facebook_40.png twitter_40px.png youtube_40px.pngcrc logo

TRUCKMOUNT EQUIPMENT AND ACCESSORIES GUIDE

Truckmount.jpgEquipment listings and specifications from the leading industry manufacturers.

Click here to view