Cleaning & Restoration Breaking News

Greensboro textile maker makes debt reduction deal

March 8, 2002
/ Print / Reprints /
/ Text Size+
Greensboro, N.C.-based Guilford Mills became the latest textile manufacturer to file for Chapter 11 protection.

Greensboro textile maker makes debt reduction deal GREENSBORO, N.C.-- Guilford Mills became the latest textile manufacturer to file for Chapter 11 protection.

As anticipated for weeks, Guilford Mills ( will voluntarily apply "in a few weeks" for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection as pre-arranged in a restructuring plan.

The Greensboro-based upholstery fabric and textile manufacturer said it reached an agreement with its senior lenders, led by Wachovia, on reducing its $270 million debt. On Feb. 19 it received a six-week extension on its loan from its lenders.

The pre-arranged bankruptcy plan, which requires U.S. Bankruptcy Court approval, will give the key lenders a 90 percent equity stake in Guilford Mills shares.

Guilford Mills also follows in the bankruptcy protection efforts of textile manufacturers Burlington Industries and Pillowtex. If Guilford Mills emerges from bankruptcy as planned this summer, it will have a completely different look, product offering and ownership.

But John Emrich, the company's president and chief executive officer, stressed that the company's management will not close any plants or undertake significant layoffs related to the bankruptcy announcement.

"We do not expect any further reduction in plants or work force related to the bankruptcy filing," Emrich said. "There have been a lot of rumors about the fate of the company, so we hope today's announcement will provide a sense of relief to our employers, our customers and our company about our future. We believe this will be a quick in and out of bankruptcy because of the confidence our senior lenders have shown to our business plan."

In exchange for reducing Guilford Mills' debt from $270 million to $145 million, its key lenders would take a 90 percent equity ownership stake. Existing shareholders would own the other 10 percent. Under the plan, the company's unsecured trade creditors would be paid in full.

The company's board of directors would be reconfigured to reflect the new equity ownership, led by Wachovia. Once the plan is federally approved, the new board would have a one-year veto on the sale of any assets or business transactions.

As part of the pre-arranged bankruptcy filing, Guilford Mills' lenders will provide an approximately $30 million debtor-in-possession revolving credit facility.

Did you enjoy this article? Click here to subscribe to i Cleaning Specialist Magazine.

You must login or register in order to post a comment.



Image Galleries

The 2014 Experience Conference and Exhibition

A look in photos at the 2014 Experience Conference and Exhibition, which was held from April 24-26 at the Embassy Suites Convention Center and Spa in Frisco, Texas.

1/27/15 2:00 pm EST

Grow Your Business and Improve Operations with New Payment Technology

Attend this free webinar to learn how new developments in payment technology can help you close more jobs, increase upselling opportunities and improve operations.


While winter is considered the "slow season" for carpet cleaners, it can also be a season of great opportunity. In this episode of The Hitman Advertising Show, John Braun offers advice for keeping revenue consistent during the cold weather months so you're thriving - and not just surviving - the winter.
More Podcasts

ICS Cleaning Specialist Magazine


2014 Nov/Dec

The Nov/Dec ICS features content on how to get better meter readings, a roundtable on truckmount development, neighborhood marketing and more. Also included is the annual Buyer’s Guide and Directory.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

Janitorial Work

In addition to residential and commercial carpet cleaning, do you do any janitorial work on the side?
View Results Poll Archive


The Carpet Cleaner's Book of Unlimited Success! (ebook)

Don’t worry about the recession or about your competition.  Now you can be the owner of over 400 ways for carpet cleaning professionals to make more money and get more jobs!

More Products


Director_Buyer.jpgThe premier resource and reference guide for the cleaning and restoration industries.

Click here to view


facebook_40.png twitter_40px.png youtube_40px.png


Truckmount.jpgEquipment listings and specifications from the leading industry manufacturers.

Click here to view