- THE MAGAZINE
Welcome to ICS Cleaning Specialist magazine's fourth commissioned market study designed to measure the opinions and preferences of floor care and restoration professionals as they pertain to the use of carpet-cleaning chemicals and equipment. The size and scope of the study dictates that only certain responses can be represented here; see the paragraph at the end of the feature for more information.
It is important to understand the makeup of the sample when analyzing any study. Carpet cleaning is the primary business of 56 percent of respondents (see Chart 1). Twenty-five percent cite restoration as their company's primary business, with business service contracting/janitorial, overall floor care and retail floor covering composing the remaining 19 percent.
Residential jobs make up 65 percent of respondents' business, with commercial/industrial/institutional work accounting for the remaining 35 percent, the same as last year. The primary method used for cleaning carpet cited by respondents is hot-water extraction, both truck-mounted and portable, clocking in at 92 percent.
The body of the study concerns the habits that purchasers and users display when dealing with carpet-cleaning chemicals. For example, 35 percent will always try new chemical products when samples are available, and another 57 percent will try them occasionally. Only 8 percent claim they will not try a new product when a sample is available.
Quality is the most important factor cited by respondents when it comes to selecting carpet-cleaning chemicals. More than 84 percent claim it is "very important," while just 1 percent dismiss it as "not important at all." Sixty-three percent singled out quality as the most important single factor in the carpet-chemical selection process (see Chart 2). Prior experience with the product ranked second at 13 percent, with cost collecting 8 percent of the vote.
The remaining 6 percent of purchases were made from other sources.
The Internet continues to make inroads in the carpet-cleaning chemical purchasing cycle. Seventeen percent of respondents make carpet-cleaning chemical purchases online, up from 14 percent last year. Almost 46 percent plan to use the Internet to make purchases in the future.
Survey respondents increased the amount of chemicals they choose to keep on hand. Seventy-two percent stocked one month's worth of carpet-cleaning chemicals, up from 66 percent. Overall, more than 94 percent of those responding claimed a month's worth of supply or more on hand at any one time.
(Editors Note: ICS Cleaning Specialist magazine's "Carpet-Cleaning Chemical Market Study" is an in-depth survey designed to measure the opinions and preferences of floor care professionals as they pertain to the use of carpet cleaning equipment and chemicals. The preceding is an abridged look at survey questions and responses. The study is available in its entirety for $195 ($165 for multiple copies). Additional areas addressed include detergent types; anti-microbial treatments; environmentally friendly or "green" chemicals; brands of chemicals most commonly used; effects of freight and shipping costs; sources for obtaining product information and more. For details contact Evan Kessler at (818) 224-8035, ext. 203 or e-mail Kesslere@bnpmedia.com. Copies may also be purchased online at www.icsmag.com.)