- THE MAGAZINE
So, how do you clean up those guacamole, salsa, mustard and cola spills? Act quickly, use certified Seal of Approval products, and follow CRI carpet cleaning guidelines, says the carpet industry trade organization.
More than 80 spot removal, pre-spray, in-tank and extractor products have earned the CRI Seal of Approval by passing a series of strict tests for cleaning effectiveness and appearance retention. Game watchers can view the list of Seal of Approval products at carpet-rug.org. The Web site also features downloadable men's and women's playoff "bracket" sheets for recording and tracking the progress of favorite teams. The sheets also include handy carpet cleaning tips.
"Independent testing has shown that many cleaning detergents and spot removers are no better than water. More seriously, some leave a sticky residue that attracts soil at a faster rate. Plus, there is significant variability in the performance levels of extractors. Not all extractors are created equal," said Werner Braun, CRI president.
CRI advises that stubborn stains and soil embedded in the carpet require deep cleaning, and it recommends using professional cleaning services that use Seal of Approval equipment. Extractors are rated Gold, Silver or Bronze, depending on their soil removal effectiveness as measured by NASA enhanced space technology.
CRI offers these tips for carpet cleaning:
- The longer a spot stays on the carpet, the harder it is to remove. Act quickly. Use the "Spot Solver" guide on the CRI Web site and use Seal of Approval products.
- Dry spills - Remove as much of the substance as possible using a spoon, brush or spatula. Vacuum thoroughly to remove loosened particles. Pouring liquid into a dry spill can create additional problems.
- Wet spills - Blot with a clean, dry, absorbent white cloth or paper towel to transfer the spill from the carpet to the cloth. Absorb any remaining moisture by placing several layers of white paper towels over the damp area and weighing them down with a heavy object.
- Always blot - never rub or scrub. When blotting, work from the outer edge of the spot or spill in toward the center to avoid spreading the spill.
- Vacuum areas of the carpet that get light traffic once or twice a week, more for high traffic areas.
- Consider professional deep cleaning, preferable every 12 to 18 months.
- Remember, regular carpet care and use of CRI Seal of Approval products is key to maintaining the life and beauty of your carpet.