- THE MAGAZINE
The fire caused approximately $5,000 in damage to an exterior wall and furnace at White Knight Carpet Cleaning, 2517 Advance Road. No injuries were reported at the business, which was closed at the time the fire was extinguished.
Firefighters were dispatched at 11:14 p.m. when a person called 911 upon discovering the fire at the building, located in a commercial area.
According to officials, snow and ice fell from the roof, damaged the gas pipe, and investigators believe the furnace ignited the natural gas that leaked from the pipe.
Workers from Madison Gas & Electric were called to the scene and turned off the natural gas service.
Officials urge people to leave a building and call 911 if they smell natural gas.
Meanwhile, fire department officials are reminding business owners and residents about the hazards of accumulated snow and ice.
People should clear snow and ice away from all exit doors, keep sidewalks and steps free of snow and ice, and clear snow away from dryer vents, gas meters and furnace exhaust vents.
To assist firefighters in doing their job, be sure to shovel out an area at least three feet around the fire hydrant that is closest to your home or business.