- THE MAGAZINE
With the cold snap impacting a good portion of the country, more carpet cleaners are pulling their vans into garages, when applicable, to do the cleaning. But this isn’t always the safest way to go about getting the job done.
According to a story out of Denver, a Utah couple died on Saturday while cleaning a home this way:
Investigators say carbon monoxide levels reached a lethal amount in the West Jordan home after the couple pulled their carpet cleaning van into the garage and kept the van and equipment running with the garage door shut as they cleaned the carpets.
This news comes on the heels of a Tennessee cleaner who died from the same causes about a week earlier. Similar to the situation in Colorado, the cleaner's van was parked in the garage and the garage door was closed throughout the cleaning, reducing ventilation.
In light of these accidental deaths, it’s important for cleaners to take necessary precaution to make sure that ventilation is not being sacrificed for cleaning comfort or convenience.