Ten Ways to Have Fun in Business
March 1, 2011
Zig Ziglar has often said that he will never retire because he is having so much fun working. Donald Trump never takes a vacation because every day he is doing exactly what he wants to do, so he has no need for a vacation. How about you?
Are you enjoying your job, and can you say that you are having fun running your business? I hope that you are but from my observation of owners in this industry, I would have to surmise that the vast majority would not describe their work days as being fun. That’s why I’m giving you 10 ways you may be able to go from drudgery to pleasure and excitement in your business.
1. Make Lots of MoneyThere is no substitution for this very important aspect of your business. Let’s face it, Zig Ziglar and Donald Trump make lots of money. Chances are if you are rolling in the cash and your balance sheet looks good, you’re having a good time.
2 . "If You Have Your Health and Your Family, You Have Everything"This quote came from my 95-year-old father-in-law, a man of great wisdom. If you have plenty of money but not these two things, you don’t have much. The lesson here is to appreciate what you have and be grateful for it. Chances are, you are not starving and have a roof over your head. Multitudes in this world don’t have those two basic things, so don’t complain; enjoy life’s little gifts.
3. "Make Everyday a Masterpiece"This quote from legendary basketball coach John Wooden will keep you happy if you adhere to it. Don’t squander a single day and use each day to make your life and business spectacular. At the end of each day, take an inventory of how you spent your day and make sure that it was a masterpiece. Successful people get things done because they take action and work hard.
4. Revel in America's InfrastructureIn many a country, the roads, phones, capital, market, etc. are not there for people to build businesses. If you have ever gone to a Third World country, you know what I mean. Everything is here for you to succeed, so don’t take it for granted.
5. Relish the ChallengesThis is one of the most important ways to have fun in business: enjoy the journey. When I was a one-man operation and had no jobs on the books, I would say to myself, “Fantastic, I now have time to go out and drum up new business!” I was actually excited and not down in the dumps. I went to work and used the time to talk to referral sources and before I knew it, business was better.
You have choices in this life, and only you can decide if you are going to enjoy the challenges or fear them.
6. Read Biographies and Motivational BooksLearning from others is essential to building your business and enjoying life. You can’t figure out everything on your own, so why not let others teach and educate you? Successful, happy people are students for life and know the value of learning from others.
7. Network and Make FriendsMany of my best friends are people I have met while getting business for my company. Networking will bring in many jobs for your company, but it is also a source of lifelong friendships. I love this part of the business. Learn how to be a good listener and have fun while you grow your business.
8. Train Your Employees in the School of LifeMichael Gerber, author of “The E-Myth Revisited” and other great business books has said that, as employers, it is our job to train our employees in the school of life. What a great concept that is! We are their leaders and, as such, we ought to show them the importance of honesty, integrity, positive thinking and always putting the customer and company first.
In my company last year, I taught my employees the importance of positive thinking using the book “The Answer” by John Assaraf and Murray Smith as my teaching material. It was a pleasure to show them the importance and power of thinking positively.
9. CompartmentalizeDon’t always be thinking about work. Learn how to turn it off and be a good spouse, parent, and friend. Sometimes it is not easy, but the best way I have found to do this is to get all my plans and thoughts down on paper so that they are out of my head. To wit…
10. Set Goals, Plan, Implement and Do Your BestIf you are doing your best, that is all you can do, so don’t worry. You can’t do better than your best. If you aren’t doing your best, though, then you do have reason to worry. Write your goals down! If you don’t write things down, they will be forever swimming in your head and driving you nuts.
Have five-year, yearly, quarterly, monthly, weekly and daily goals set up, and you will be amazed at how your business will improve and your life will be more enjoyable. It’s really a lot of fun to set goals and then watch them be accomplished. When you fulfill a task, it actually releases endorphins in your brain and you get a natural high. People can become addicted to completing tasks and the natural high that comes with it. Now that’s an addiction that’s we all ought to have!
Accept the challenge that your business is going to be a vehicle for fun and excitement. I hope that your attitude is one that incorporates these ten ideas and if you do, I believe that you will be one of the happiest people around. Enjoy!