Articles by BNP Media Staff

To Your Success: Saying Goodbye With Respect and Dignity

August 1, 2006
"For whatever a man is sowing, this he will also reap."
--Galations 6: 7
Read More

The Law of "Consequences"

July 14, 2006
It is an immutable law of physics: "For every action there is a reaction." Or at least there should be. When we deal with both our children and our employees we often ignore this principle of "consequences." The result? Spoiled, sullen kids and marginal, bad-attitude employees. Who bears the blame? We permitting wrong actions to continue without an appropriate reaction on our part.
Read More

Moving Them On Out

June 1, 2006
"I've had it with my loser employees. I'm firing the lot of them and go back on the truck solo. Fewer headaches, less stress and more money in my pocket! They are outta here!"
Read More

Saying Goodbye

May 18, 2006
I always hated the employee bombshell, "Steve, I've got a better job offer and this will be my last week." After that, it was easier just to ignore the traitorous employee! I was hurt, angry and obviously very, very inconvenienced (and the emotional dynamics got even more stressful when I had to fire them).
Read More

Rising Above the Mediocre- Part II

March 14, 2006
There is nothing wrong with being average...except that no one wants to be average. Human beings are born with an innate desire to excel, to be "better than the rest." Of course, as the years pile on, many gradually come to the realization that this is "as good as it gets," and they slip into a vaguely discontented mediocrity.
Read More

Rising Above the Mediocre - Part I

February 9, 2006
Carpet cleaning is potentially a great industry. Low entry costs, high net profits, the freedom to set your own schedule and, maybe most importantly, the potential for success on your terms. And yet, let's speak frankly here. Could anyone say that the average carpet cleaner (not a reader of this illustrious trade journal, of course!) is by any measure "successful"?
Read More

Getting Your People On Board

December 8, 2005
Wars have been started, kingdoms have been lost, marriages broken up and businesses destroyed - all due to a failure to communicate. Yes, as any behavioral psychologist will tell you, most problems in both business and personal life are due to poor communication.
Read More

Finding Success Against All Odds

November 8, 2005
I've never been instinctively brilliant at business. You name it, and over my 20-year entrepreneurial career I very probably messed it up.
Read More

Oh, To Do It All Over Again - Part III

October 7, 2005
Someone once told me, "90 percent of success is to just do what you promised to do when you said you would do it." I would add that the other 10 percent is to do more things right than wrong.
Read More

Oh, To Do It All Over Again ... Part II

September 8, 2005
I've never claimed to be real smart. However, I am very stubborn. In fact, I credit much of my business success to the fact that I was both too dumb and too mulish to give up. I struggled along, committing one "business boo-boo" after another and yet, somehow, miraculously, not only surviving but prospering.
Read More



Image Galleries

The 2014 Experience Conference and Exhibition

A look in photos at the 2014 Experience Conference and Exhibition, which was held from April 24-26 at the Embassy Suites Convention Center and Spa in Frisco, Texas.


Most cleaners rely on their online marketing presence to get jobs. But Google hasn't made things easy lately with their algorithm updates, which has impacted a lot of cleaning sites. Here's a look at some tips and suggestions to improve your Google ranking.
More Podcasts

ICS Cleaning Specialist Magazine

Cover Image

2014 June/July

The June/July issue of ICS features stories on add-on services, carpet repair, cleaning silk rugs and ranking websites on Google.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

Social Media

Social media is a good way to regularly keep in touch and interact with current clients and reach potential ones. What social mediums do you use in your cleaning/restoration business?
View Results Poll Archive


Get Paid! book cover
Get Paid! (ebook)
Over 30 authors – over 40 articles…from attorneys, contractors, consultants, instructors and others, both inside and outside the restoration industry. R & R, C & R and Cleanfax, opened their archives and gave us the best they had, other chapters were created just for the “Get Paid!” book and its readers. And every one of them has ideas for how to get paid what you are owed.

More Products


Director_Buyer.jpgThe premier resource and reference guide for the cleaning and restoration industries.

Click here to view


Truckmount.jpgEquipment listings and specifications from the leading industry manufacturers.

Click here to view


facebook_40.png twitter_40px.png youtube_40px.pngcrc logo