- THE MAGAZINE
So, you’ve probably attempted to delegate work to others (if you can afford employees). But how do you know they can do what they say they know?
There’s only two ways they can demonstrate they really know something:
- 1. They
tell you in a convincing way the actual steps it takes to do a task.
2. They show you in-person that they can do the specific task.
The first good step in creating a training curriculum is to create an operations manual. But when it comes to training, having manuals alone is just one phenomenally good step that will still fall short unless you learn how to become a better trainer.
Here’s a very brief overview of the many tools and techniques I use when I teach my clients during Staffing Power! how to develop and create the type of employees they’ve always dreamed of:
- 1. Have your
opening remarks or story ready to begin every training session. They won’t be
receptive to learning until you’ve unlocked their mind by teasing them with why
they need to learn this.
2. Be very, very positive and enthusiastic.
3. Feel that you’ve earned the right to be at the front of the class. Practice by visualizing yourself in the Training Center (or, if you don’t have a training center yet, your conference room) feeling confident that you’re getting very positive feedback from the trainees.
4. Select the three to four main points you want to make in each class and have very strong benefits (“WIIFM” aka “What’s In It For Me”) so they are invested in learning this material.
5. Give out only the training materials that they’ll need as they need it, so they stay in synch with you.
Ex: If you give them a 10-page photocopy of a troubleshooting guide before you’re ready to use it, they’ll be flipping through it while you’re talking.
6. Close every training session with a summary of what was covered in each training session. And whenever possible, get them to sign off on the training done so they know they’re responsible for doing it in the real-world.
7. Capture your training on video so you can watch yourself. It’s painful at first but it’s the very best feedback you can get and fastest way I know to get better at training.
Give Me 60 Minutes And I'll Show You The Secrets To RunningAl Levi is a consultant and a contributing editor to PM
magazine and blogs for many other BNP trade magazines. He is now presenting a free
online video event called the “60-Minute Recession Solution Online Video
A Profitable Service Business ... Even During A Recession!
For the first time ever, you’ll hear from him and just a few of the many contractors who have engaged the power of his Power! Programs. They’re happy to share how this dynamic program worked for them and how it is still working for them - especially in these tough economic times.
“This program has helped dozens of business owners I’ve worked with one-on-one,” says Al. “The Power! Plans have also helped. But now, thanks to new technology, I’ll be able to help many more contractors with my 12-month Power! Plan Coaching Program than ever before.” This program will include the building of your own customizable Operating Power! manuals.
These programs have been working for Al in his family business for years and in his clients’ businesses. Now they are reaping the results. Click on the following link to see and hear for yourself: www.60MinuteRecessionSolution.com.