- THE MAGAZINE
We stumbled upon a story recently in the Charlotte Observer that profiled Chris Souk, an Oxi-Fresh franchisee in the greater Charlotte area that was also the franchise’s top cleaner – of about 250 franchises – in 2013.
In the piece, Souk revealed five tips on what’s helped him become so successful. We thought we’d share them with you. Who knows, you just might learn something. Here’s what Souk had to say, via the Charlotte Observer:
1. Start Early: Schedule jobs before morning rush hour so you’re cleaning more homes and not wasting time idling in the car.
2. Keep Tabs on Your Competition: You’ve heard the saying, “Keep your friends close and enemies closer.” It appears Souk follows it. He told the newspaper that he keeps a “war book” on his competition that keeps every piece of information he can find about them from the past four years so he can study their patterns, pricing and advertising strategies.
3. Prize Personalization: Souk charges higher prices than many of his competitors, but he offers strategic discounts to the likes of veterans, police officers and firefighters. He also gives teachers discounts during back-to-school season.
4. Make Marketing a Long-Term Investment: It’s all about branding. Souk says he sends out thousands of direct mail a month and approaches marketing as a long-term investment. (Click here for a piece on postcard mailing or click here to learn about Every Door Direct Mail.)
5. Hire the Right People: It can be tough to find good employees. Souk says he’s found that employees that have “outside responsibilities” are generally better workers because they need the job that much more than someone who doesn’t. He says that his turnover rate is much lower compared to most cleaning companies due to this strategy.
What do you think of Souk’s strategy?
Be sure to check out the full story in the Charlotte Observer by clicking here to see Souk’s more in-depth explanations.